Seeking a detail-oriented, energetic and curious new team member to join our real estate development and construction company.
Heartwood Real Estate Group is a fast-growing, fast-paced development and construction company located in Austin. We develop a variety of product types from luxury single-family homes to townhome and mixed-income housing communities, primarily in Central Austin. This role is focused on project management for our self-performed single-family and townhome construction operations.
The ideal candidate should have at least five years of experience directly related to construction project management, specifically estimating, scheduling and bidding. The candidate should be proficient at reading architectural plans, performing take-offs, creating estimates using Excel, and performing value engineering/value analysis. The candidate will be expected to oversee compliance of the company’s subcontractor base, ensuring that critical documents like certificates of insurance, master subcontractor agreements and purchase orders are complete and organized. Additionally, the candidate should be interested in continuing to grow their skill set.
The software used in this role will include Excel, Smartsheets, BuilderTrend, GoogleDrive, Gmail, Bluebeam and Zoom. Proficiency in GoogleDrive file management, Excel, Gmail and Zoom are required. Proficiency in Smartsheets, BuilderTrend and BlueBeam are a big plus, but not required for a curious self-starter who is willing to learn.
This role will work closely with both the project development manager and construction team, and will report to the vice president of construction.
Success in this role will look like this: construction projects you are involved in are tracking to be on budget by the time the architect delivers completed plans (CD100). Project budgets are accurate due to your good work on iterative bidding and estimating during pre-construction. The construction team has clear and easy-to-read plans to use in the field. When the construction team takes over for final bidding, bids come back within 10% of your budget estimates. Our executive team can quickly answer any high-level budgeting questions they have due to our clean and updated project budgets. In short, you make a significant contribution to projects running smoothly, and being complete on schedule and on budget.
Bidding and budgeting
- Obtain iterative bids throughout design process for estimating purposes
- Takeoffs and estimating
- Manage Requests for Proposals (RFPs) for consultants and large vendors (such as outside designers, lighting designers and suppliers)
- Own construction budget throughout lifespan of project; build construction budgets, check for accuracy, update budgets throughout project for executive review
- Good command of excel and basic financial math
Plan Reviews, Value Engineering and Design
- Good command of architectural plans. Understand how to read architectural plans, review and mark up plans from a constructability, durability, quality, and build time point of view. Understand floor plans, utility locations, RCP, and proficiency reading floor plan measurements.
- Willing to focus deeply and dive into complex residential architectural plans. Take the time to understand them, ask questions, make comments and recommendations, and be ready to mark them up.
- Knowledge of editing software, like BlueBeam, or willing to learn
- Execute VE decisions communicated by Development Manager
- Follow up with architects to obtain updated plans reflecting VE decisions
- Spec book creation
- Reviewing specs for accuracy
- Materials and fixtures vetting (understanding basic pros and cons of materials for warrantability and durability)
Other Responsibilities and Requirements
- Organize files and documents for construction team, to ensure smooth construction process
- Hand off a clean and complete spec, plans and budget package to the construction team
- Obtain materials samples by request for sales teams
- Familiarity with construction terminology